Gold mining is a global enterprise and Africa has not been left behind. There are several African countries with significant gold deposits.
But which are the leading producers of gold in Africa?
The article will look at the top gold producers in Africa. The data used to compile this article is from the World Gold Council 2021 data.
The leading producer of gold in Africa is Ghana which produced 129.2 tonnes, closely followed by South Africa at 113.6 tonnes, and Burkina Faso which produced 102.8 tonnes of gold.
5 Leading Producers of Gold in Africa
1. Ghana – 129.2 tonnes
Ghana is the continent’s top gold-producing country after mining more than 129.2 metric tonnes of gold in 2021. According to data from statista Ghana earned 7.2 Billion USD from gold in 2020. The revenue generated from Ghana gold is the highest in the country.
List of Gold Mine Locations In Ghana
- Ahafo mine – located approximately 307 kilometers from the capital city Accra
- Akyem mine -located in the eastern region of Ghana in Birim North District
- Obuasi – Located in Ashanti Region of Ghana
- Tarkwa – Located in Western Region southwest of South Ghana
- Damang -This mine is located in the south-west of the country in the Western Region
- Prestea /Bogoso – Located in central-eastern section of the Western Region of Ghana
- Wassa – Located in south-western Ghana.
- Kenyasi – Located in Asutifi North District in the Ahafo Region.
- Chirano – Located in western Region of Ghana, within the Bibiani gold belt
- Teleku Bokazo,Nzema – Located in the Western Region of Ghana
- Ayanfuri – mining town in the Central Region of Ghana
- Amansie West – Located in Ashanti Region
- Kwabeng – Located in the Eastern Region of south Ghana.
- Osino – found in the Eastern region of Ghana, located on the Accra-Kumasi highway
List of Gold Mining Companies in Ghana
- AngloGold Ashanti (Ghana) Ltd – Mining in Obuasi and Iduapriem (Tarkwa)
- Gold Fields Ghana Ltd – Mining Ghana gold in Tarkwa
- Abosso Goldfields Limited – mining in Damang
- Golden Star Ltd -mining in Prestea /Bogoso and Wassa
- Newmont Ghana Gold Ltd – mining in Kenyasi and Akyem
- Chirano Gold Mines Ltd – mining in Ghana gold in Chirano
- Adamus Resources Limited – mining Teleku Bokazo,Nzema
- Perseus Mining (Ghana) Ltd – mining gold in Ayanfuri
- Asanko Gold Mine – mining gold in Amansie West
- Xtra Gold – mining in Kwabeng
- Kibi Goldfields – mining in Osino
2. South Africa – 113.6 tonnes
Africa’s former top gold-producing country South Africa is now the second top gold-producing country in Africa mining more than 113.6 metric tonnes of gold in 2021.
In 2019, South Africa’s gold production dropped to 118 metric tonnes from 137 metric tonnes in 2018. Despite the fall in production, South Africa still counts for 4.2% of the world’s production.
The country has over 86 mining projects . majority of the gold reserve is in Witwatersrand Basin, which is among the world’s largest gold placer deposits.
Gold is also found in the North West Provinces and Free State.
List of Top Gold mines in South Africa
- South deep gold mine
- Mponeneg gold mine
- Blyvoor gold mine
- Kusasalethu mine
- Kloof gold mine
- Barberton miles
- East Driefontein mines
- Barbertone mines
- Doornkop gold mine
- Moab Khotsong gold mine
- Target gold mine
The type of mines available include the following
- Underground mines
- Surface mines
- Undefined mines
3. Burkina Faso – 102.8 tonnes
Burkina Faso’s 102.8 metric tonnes of gold produced in 2021 place it in the 3rd position in our list.
The leading gold mines in Burkina Faso include Essakane, Kalsaka, Youga, Karma, Mana, Yaramoko, and Taparko-Boroum Inata.
Other major mineral resources available in Burkina Faso Include Phosphate, Zinc, copper, manganese, and limestone.
4. Mali -98.7 tonnes
Mali is another leading producer of gold in Africa. More than 10 million people in mali depend on the mining sector for income.
Mali mined more than 98.7 tonnes of gold in 2021. Mali gold deposit estimates currently stand at 800 tons according to The Ministry of Mines.
|Total Local Production||≃ 50 tons||60.8 tons||65.1 tons||65.2 tons|
|Total Exports||$2 billion||$2 billion||$2.5 billion||$3.2 billion|
International mining companies operating in Mali include Endeavour Mining, Anglogold Ashanti, and Randgold Resources
5. Sudan 98.7 tonnes
Data from Public Authority for Geological Research put the Sudan gold deposit at 533 tons.
The country produced more than 98.7 tonnes of gold in 2021.
The gold mining regions in Sudan include
- Blue Nile region
- North Kurdufan
- Alluvial regions of the Nile River
- Quartz vein formations in Obaidiya
Apart from gold other minerals available include 500,000 tons of copper,4,500 tons of silver and 1.9 million tons of zinc.
Other Gold Producing Countries In Africa
|Dem. Rep. of the Congo||63.3|
Source: World Gold Council